On Christmas morning 2015, I awoke to a scavenger hunt carefully planned by my boyfriend, Aaron. (Cue the “awwwwws”…..I love scavenger hunts!! Fun Fact: Someday, I’m going to be a contestant on the Amazing Race, just you wait 😜) As I followed the clues, I was eventually led to our building’s parking garage. Excitedly, I opened the tailgate to Aaron’s truck to reveal a brand new K2 snowboard!!
A couple of weeks later, at the age of 35, I found myself on a snow covered mountain, my feet strapped to a snowboard for the first time ever. Scary. Thrilling. A new adventure!
Fast forward three years later, I have just completed my third season (injury free, thankfully) at Loveland Ski Area, the mountain I first learned on, and the mountain I continue to improve on.
So….some things I’ve learned over the last three years (in no particular order)….
1. You are NEVER too old to learn something new. Pretty cliche, right? Seriously though, learning to snowboard can be challenging, frustrating, and painful, but once the pieces start to come together, it’s SO MUCH FUN and incredibly rewarding!
2. Carry Ibuprofen in your ski bag for the painful parts.
3. Carry a Snickers bar in your coat pocket for a ski lift happy snack.
4. Take lessons! Loveland offers a Three Class Pass program which I took advantage of my first season. I received three lessons with a knowledgeable instructor and at the completion got a season pass. I took two of my classes midweek, and I was the only student with my instructor. Very helpful, one-on-one instruction.
5. Some people race to the mountain before the sun comes up to secure “First Chair”. Not me. I like to get up to the mountain early for “First Grill” 😜….pancakes, French toast, breakfast burritos….nom nom nom
6. Laugh at yourself. I fall getting off the lifts. I fall down the mountain in new and interesting ways each time. I have even taken clumsy falls skating on my board (what a dork). I look ridiculous a lot, but I still have to laugh and remind myself to just have fun. You are just playing in snow after all!
(On that note: I highly recommend following jerryoftheday on instagram. Sendies!!!!! 😉)
I really can’t believe how much I have learned and built on over the last three seasons at Loveland. I’m pretty damn proud of myself.
On my last day of this season, I finally put on my big girl pants and made it up the highest lift to “The Ridge” aka The Continental Divide. Views for days!! Incredible. I can’t believe I live an hour drive from this scenery.
Lastly, here is Aaron (expert scavenger hunt designer) on the ridge with me this week, a beautiful spring day. He has been an experienced teacher, a patient supporter, and an enthusiastic cheerleader to me over the last three seasons. Thank you for getting me into the sport!
Final Note: Don’t skip out on “end of the day beers” at the base picnic tables outside in the sunshine. 🍻 You earned it!
Can’t wait for next season!
Leave a Reply